Sunday, December 27, 2009

Albums Of The Year 2009 - No.5!

JAMIE T - 'KINGS AND QUEENS'
I have to be honest, I never really rated Jamie T before. He emerged onto the UK music scene two years ago, with what can only be described as shouty, wannabe chav hip-hop. It wasn't bad, exactly, it just didn't really grab me.

I was wrong. Although his first album still isn't brilliant, I'm happy to admit that it was simply me that didn't get it. The man is talented, and has an original gift for urban storytelling in a totally original style, with a completely natural ability for vocal deftness.

Which brings me to this new album. Jamie still has his rough-edge lyrics, but he's also crafted some stunningly subtle and low-key music to balance it out. 'The Man's Machine' expertly blends some of the best, most rhythmic spoken word I've heard with gorgeous music behind it. Album opener, '368', uses samples and re-balanced vocals to great effect while Jamie tells a story of a London council estate.

All in all, I was wrong. Jamie T is a fantastic new talent and has made a blinder of an album. Consider me now a fan.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

ooh ooh, have we started already? Haven't actually heard a not of this, at least not intentionally. I too was 'not a fan', but maybe I'll give him another chance after this.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

not = note

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home