Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A Single Explosion


Yesterday something momentous happened to me. I heard a new song from Matthew Good's forthcoming album 'Hospital Music'. Before I go any further I should explain that this man is my songwriting god, therefore making this entire blog objective, and I don't expect anyone to be interested.

I liked it at first but even I can admit it's a grower. And so, after about a thousand listens, I am now in love with the song. Musically it takes a while to take hold but when it does... wowsers! Lyrically it's possibly the most powerful thing I've heard in years. So much so that it's made me re-think all the potential lyrics I've written for Alphino's next album.

Myself and James have spoken many times about our next album endeavour (although the 1st album 'Lens Flare' is out now and it's marvellous - buy it here), and the general opinion is to do something as different as possible. When talking about lyrics I voiced my concern that I haven't really had enough life experiences since the last album to write more personal lyrics (unless I write 15 sets of lyrics about going to work/the pub), so it seemed a good idea to make the next album a collection of stories.

And now, after having heard this new Matthew Good song, everything I've written so far just seems so redundant. Having only a rough idea of what inspired this track all I can do is simply hold my hands up and wave the white flag. I have nothing. This song has slayed me.

If you're interested the song is called 'A Simple Explosion' and can be found here (you'll need to register to hear it but it's free and quick - and unbelievably worth it).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home